Why? Why? Why?

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 29 12:00:48 MDT 2006

I, for one, absolutely do not have the time and learn all the required items
to pass the tests.
              In theory, at least, if you learn you stuff, then you can pass
the tests. That's the way I did it.  I only studied "stuff", not the tests.
Never studied the tests, but only useful things for work.  Then I passed the
tests.

 Furthermore, I can't make a living and do that much studying at the same
time plus the expense to go to a place to take the tests. And, on top of all
of that, I have enough hearing loss that I absolutely can not, ever, hear
well enough to learn aural tuning, let alone pass the test - that is why I
use an ETD.
             Get thee to an audiologist. Dr Gloria Nemeroff might be able to
recommend someone who knows something about our work. I was able to help her
understand what we need, and she has given me great tools.
www.houstonhearing.com.

In my neck of the woods, I have only a few customers with -grands-, most of
mine have various sizes of uprights. And I am more dedicated to antique
players and reed organs, of which, basically, I'm it. Theres only one or two
guys left that are even interested in servicing and/or rebuilding these fine
instruments.

So, bottom line, I will probably never will go for the RPT exams.

If this means being discriminated against or chastised or ignored, then I
will quit the association!
                  That's certainly a choice, and if you know enough to do
good work, especially in an esoteric arena, blessings to you.   I think you
may be better able to pass tests than you know. On the other hand if you're
busy, you already have "status", just not in the PTG club.
les bartlett