Key Leads

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Sun Jul 30 22:37:54 MDT 2006

So you pour the lead right into the hole in the key?  Do you drill all the way through?  How do you block the other side?

It's a nice refinement when swaging the leads, that if you use a punch that expands the lead in only two opposite directions, it's best to align that punch so the expansion force goes against the end grain of the hole.  If the force goes vertically (against the side of the grain), it's more likely to split the key.

--Cy--