removing key leads

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jul 30 22:54:47 MDT 2006

> Indeed, yes, that is fairly obvious. I believe this type of tool is
> handy for many other tasks such as pushing in new capstans, and
> backchecks. The one-ton has a 5.5" height capacity and the half-ton is
> an inch shorter. My question, more completely stated, was which machine
> best serves all the common needs of the shop-bound piano technician. I
> suspect the half-ton could press just about anything I wanted into a
> spruce key. But not ever having used such a tool, I was wondering if the
> height capacity or anything else about the larger model made it more
> attractive to the piano tech.
>
> Terry Farrell

Ok, I get it. 'Tain't just for key leads. My general rule in
that case is, overkill isn't - necessarily. If there's any
doubt concerning capacity for other uses, go with the next one
up, if the budget allows. The price difference in this case
certainly isn't a deal breaker, and you might very well find
the need to squash (press) something the half ton wouldn't
handle as easily or gracefully.

Press on...

Ron N