A First Tuning

Robert Finley rfinley at rcn.com
Sat Jun 3 16:13:08 MDT 2006

Thank you for the advice Avery. I do in fact tune unisons at the top by playing the key rapidly and listening for the pure, bell-like sound. It becomes increasingly difficult to hear this as I approach C8 though, and to make sure I am on track I have to pluck the three strings with my fingernail to hear if they are close. The problem still seems to be getting the unisons to stay in tune after the tuning is complete, so that some of them don't go out several weeks or days after. When you set the tuning pin I thought you had to bring the pitch slightly higher by a few beats per second and then bring it down into tune by turning the tuning lever, and it is difficult or impossible to hear any beats when the notes are as high as this. The movement of the tuning lever required to make any change in the beats in the high treble is so minute anyway, and I don't know how anyone can move it with such precision.

I also noticed the phenomenon you mentioned about the Accutuner when the lights start out fixed or moving slowly on the initial attack and then move rapidly afterwards. I don't know why this is either. It seems to happen on the highest notes. Maybe it's some strange vibrational mode in the shorter strings that causes a shift in the frequency, or perhaps it has something to do with false beats.

Robert