lubing a Kawai

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Sun Jun 4 12:49:20 MDT 2006

William,

Ditto to what Jack says.  The jack may be squeaking on the knuckle too.  AT any rate, if I apply teflon to the drop leathers, I'll usually put some on the knuckles, too.

After lifting all the hammers to an upright position, I take a straight edge--I use a short piece of aluminum door-threshold*, which can also catch the slop--and push down a large group of the drop-screw end of the rep levers, leaving the leathers accessible for teflon application.  A hobby brush works well as an applicator.  I've used a felt mute for the job as well.

Dave Stahl

*per the late Guy Nichols' article some time back in the Journal.