Refelting hammers...clamp type clothes pins idea

Dave Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Thu Jun 8 00:08:21 MDT 2006

On 6/8/06, KeyKat88 at aol.com quoth:

>Greetings,
>
>         Regluing unravelling hammer felts, I use
>clamp clothes pins to hold the felt on while the
>glue dries.

I have used clothes pins on layered leather
fortepiano hammers, I prefer a stronger spring
clamp for felt, and a clothes pin simply wont
reach around a tenor hammer even in a spinet. I
got the idea, from Susan Kline?, of using a thin
spread of white glue and a thin spread of super
glue on either side, the white glue acts as an
accelerator and reduces clamping time. I actually
did this to about 25 hammers on a Wurly spinet in
December and the mother has called to thank me
several times. Of course my first reaction was to
replace all hammers which would exceed the value
of the, beat up, piano. When I heard her story of
her parents staying with them after losing
everything in Plaquemines Parish and their
daughters medical problems I figured any cheaper
solution was worth trying and this one worked out
well. They dont always! I think Terry Farrells
idea of simply gluing on to the strike point is
brilliantly simple, if the joint holds. One of
those duh moments.
--
----Dave