YC

Don Mannino donmannino at comcast.net
Wed Jun 28 18:28:27 MDT 2006

Les,

Turning the capstans down won't be the problem - not needed.  The
problem is if the brackets have grown to the point where the drop
screws are jammed into the pinblock.

I think it is fairly unusual to be so bad that the action won't come
out.  If it is tight, you should start by raising the balance rail
glides.  In the most extreme case, the piano would be tilted on it's
side and the keybed loosened / removed.

Having seen a few of these action brackets, though, in the case of a
very badly expanded action I would consider trying brute force.  The
brackets become very weak and brittle, and it should be possible to
break them.  I haven't ever tried it while the action was in the piano, though.

Don Mannino