Tuning a Duo/Art player piano

Samuel Choy sam at scpianoservice.com
Fri Jun 30 21:11:19 MDT 2006

Hello list,

I have a job on Thursday to tune a Duo/Art player piano, about 30 years old.
I have not tuned a player piano...but fortunately the client let me take a
look at it before I decided whether to accept the job. I was up front with
him that I have not tuned  player piano before and would not charge him if I
do not think I'm up to the task.

Problem is, it has a device in it that lowers between the strings and the
hammers to give it a "rinky tink" sound.  On key 88, the device blocks the
lowest tuning pin. I think I can work around it. Anyway, has anyone out
there worked on a Duo/Art player? Anything gotcha's I should look out for?

Regards,

Samuel Choy.