Tuning a Duo/Art player piano

Hechler Family dahechler at charter.net
Fri Jun 30 23:13:56 MDT 2006

Samuel,

Yes, I have tuned several of these. First, you will need to tell the
customer that you will need to disconnect (unscrew) the rinky-tick rail
and the device that is blocking the tuning pin. Also, you will need to
charge your normal tuning fee -as well as- some dollar per hour value
for disconnecting and reconnecting the above items. Some of the ones
I've tuned are mid-height models so getting to the strings for mutes is
tedious but doable.

Most of those models are NOT able to remove the player action without
MAJOR trouble - usually the tubing goes from the tracker bar to each
side of the cabinet and down to the wind chest. Even to do an adequate
job to regulation, the whole player top will need to be removed - which
involves labeling each tube, unhooking the tubing from the valve block
underneath the keybed, pulling the tubing up through each side, removing
the top player action - then - do your regulation - then reversing the
process. (That is why I got rid of my 70's player and buying an antique
player and restoring it)

About the only other advise is - have major patience and stay calm.

Good luck,
Duaine

--
Duaine Hechler