v-bar/capo repair

Barbara Richmond piano57@insightbb.com
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 21:51:19 -0600

Hi David,

Well, I'm not sure if the capo hardness was ever right since the problem =
was there before it was restrung, also.  The problem didn't surface =
until the piano was a year old or so.  Then it took about the same =
amount of time for the problem to surface after it was restrung.  It was =
the repetition of the timing and the symptoms that got my attention.

Thanks for the suggestions of inserting the brass half round or half =
oval.  I will try that.  BTW, what sort of establishment would carry =
those?

Barbara Richmond
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: 'Pianotech List'=20
  Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 9:33 PM
  Subject: RE: v-bar/capo repair

  Are you sure it's a soft v-bar?  How much material did the stringer =
take off?  Is it possible he actually filed through the hardened =
section?  How long and what is the angle of the counterbearing section?  =
Is the counterbearing area flat or sloped?  Can you manage to insert =
something to increase the deflection angle and shorten and detune the =
segment?  You might experiment by inserting a cut piece of brass half =
round or half oval underneath this section to see if that doesn't help.  =
Have you looked at the v bar with a mirror to examine its shape?  I =
would certainly try that before considering torching the v bar. =20

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20