near impossible tuning

Roger Jolly roger.j@sasktel.net
Sat Mar 4 02:29:30 MST 2006

Greetings Ed,
                         Another thought has come to mind.  A few
years ago I had a KG2 that had tuning problems in this area, and also
at the tenor break.  Eventually the problem was traced to a poorly
fitted pin block.
The surprise that I got was, a two step plate flange.  The part of
the flange that could be investigated with a feeler gauge was only
about 3/8" deep, and showed no signs of a problem. The main part of
the flange that was angled about 1 1/2" thick had about a 1/8" gap in
these areas.  I only discovered the problem after pulling the plate.

That block did not like any form of tap back on the tuning hammer.

Make sure the plate screws are tight, and see if there is any
temporary improvement.
  Another possible diagnostic test.
Remove action:  Test tuning feel by plucking a few strings.  Install
a pin block jack in problem area, re pluck strings and see if there
is an improvement..  If the tuning goes really wild when you tight
the jack, it would be a reasonable assumption to suspect the block fit.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Am I day dreaming.

Just clutching at straws.
Regards Roger