possible tuning

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Mar 3 23:57:41 MST 2006

Greetings all,
    Well,  I have just finished tuning this RX-6 for the fourth time in four
weeks.  It is stable, mostly.  There was never any large fluctuations in the
overall pitch, just a decreasing number of unisons that gradually became more
stable.
    My take on this thing is that there were rendering problems, probably due
to the string plate contact points under the capo and/or the upper string
bearing points directly in front of the tuning pins.  Each week there were less
and less problems in stability, culminating today in finding about four unisons
that had 2 or so cents in them.  I have to hope that the piano will now be
able to survive a month at a time without calling attention to itself.
     I lubed one of the worst offenders at both of the bearing points, and it
didn't seem to make much difference.  I tapped the strings down at the hitch,
and gently settled them at the bridge without noticing any effect.  I did use
the string lifter,(a Straight-mate sort of thing), and it did send a few of
the unisons crazy, but beyond all that, I think I just learned how much back
and forth was required at the pin to find the neutral point in top string
tension when the speaking length was at the correct pitch.
    The customer told me today that the piano sounds better than it ever did,
and was more stable than they had ever noticed.  I even got a regulation out
of the deal, so it was a profitable day.   I believe we, as a group, have the
ability to damn near bring up all the variables possible in a situation like
this.
Thanks to all suggestions,
regards,
Ed Foote RPT