Voicing of high bass on Steinway L

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Mar 9 07:33:33 MST 2006

In a message dated 3/8/2006 8:57:55 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
bjsilva001 at comcast.net writes:

HI Dale,

Because I  was very long time client Danny has  been receptive to my request
for raising the tension in this area  on  many sets but not with any
enthusiasm & this is why I went to  the Arledge strings & that's OK with him.

However, GC alters the string tension in the high range (to be  lower) and I
was suspicious this might contribute to my distaste for the  tone. From what
Danny at GC told me, Steinway continues the high tension in the  L.
  Ok
.So, in another attempt I just ordered some Mapes, which I  assumed (perhaps
wrongly!) would follow the default Steinway tensions. I am  hoping to have a
better chance at reproducing that relatively terrific sound  from the L I ran
across, which I have just received permission to examine  next Tuesday. I'll
let you know what I turn up if you're  interested.
  Just  measure the i.ds & o.d.s from the original  set of strings that you
like the sound of and ask Jim Arledge to make them &  he will

As for the piano in question, the hammers are fairly old, maybe even
originals (from 1925). Nice felt, old-ish but better quality than what comes  on
Steinways now. I personally don't have a problem with the tone of notes  27-29, in
fact the "original" strings on this piano had an acceptable  transition from
A25-B27 - it was just the Bb26 that had a bad sound. I  actually just heard a
new model O on Monday, which also suffered a similar  sound on Bb26, but A25
and below were fairly nice.

  German O?

If you have any voicing advice I would really love to hear it! I am
competent at superficial voicing, but not much more. I'm looking for a less  punchy
attack and a warmer-full-bodied tone. I tried a bit of needling on the
shoulders, which improved the tone a bit, but I'm afraid of over-voicing so I  didn't
do too much.

  John, I'm still unclear as to what hammers your using but in  any case I'll
say there usually isn't anything wrong with recent Steinway  Hammers except
operator errors or possibly to hard from the factory.   Yup some are to hard
but usually the problem is they need to be brought up which  works in your
favor. IMO.
   But in general all 26 note bass pianos,  without wrapped strings on the
tenor bridge,  will suffer from low tensions in the  note 27 -30ish range &
because of  this the sound will always suffer if the hammers is too hard .
Hammers  must be flexible enough to prevent tonal distortions from being
prevalent..  I you are working with original hammers they were very light  which is
another clue.  The hammers can not be to heavy whatever you  use.
  As for the recent and always maligned factory Steinway  hammer, in general
I have had very good sets lately. However I always single  needle test some
the hammers  to check the felt density.  If  too  hard I send them back. But the
density & weight has been quite good lately  & tone after shaping is in the
ball park with less lacquer required in some  cases & some areas.   I've been
getting the Classic  Steinway sound I want with these hammers.  The American
CO.18  lb. Felt is really nice & they seem to be on a roll. JMO
  Dale

Thanks!

- John

Dale  Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Calif 95357
Shop  209-577-8397
cell 209-985-0990
_http://www.erwinspiano.com/_ (http://www.erwinspiano.com/)
Specializing in the Restoration, Service & Sales  of
Steinway, Mason & Hamlin, & other fine  pianos