Voicing of high bass on Steinway L

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Mar 9 08:34:43 MST 2006

When I've had the scales recalculated, the changes that seem to need to be
made are often the tensions in the plain wire section of the low tenor to a
greater degree than the wrapped tension in the high bass.  Lowering the
tension in the high bass to match what is often a too low tension in the low
tenor doesn't seem like a good solution to me.  When restringing the bass on
these instruments, consider having the scale recalculated and altering a few
of the lower notes in the plain wire section of the tenor as part of the
job.  That, combined with a blending of the wrapped strings and a change to
the monchords that almost always needs to be done from the original, can
help the tenor/bass transition and the low bass quality.  Mass loading at
these transition points can help too.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net