Treble tuning for elderly clients

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Mon Mar 13 17:04:39 MST 2006

Jurgen:

I've noticed that with the early loss of the high frequencies they perceive the sounds to be flat in the high treble, then as the loss gets worse they finally don't hear a tone and perceive that there's no tone.  I remember one teacher who had 3 pianos - all with screaming trebles - and she was telling me there was no tone "just a wooden thud".  To me this is the most difficult situation we face.  Telling a person that their beloved piano has died is the second most difficult.  Telling them the piano is fine and your hearing is going is the toughest.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts
Southern Methodist University