Howard pianos?

Paul Mulik tubist at swbell.net
Tue May 2 14:50:47 MDT 2006

A friend of mine in Joplin recently bought a small, older Howard grand,
serial #227757,  for $800.  The finish is pretty dull and it would benefit
from restringing and a new pinblock, but I'd say he got quite a bargain.

When I went to tune it for him, I spent probably 5 minutes trying to figure
out how to remove the action, until I realized that the screws that hold the
key blocks in place were concealed beneath the rubber buttons.  A few days
later, I encountered an unusual old Acrosonic which also had screws (for
removing the top) hidden beneath rubber buttons.

I guess this is old news to most of you, but perhaps some of our newer
members may not have encountered this "design feature" before.  Perhaps it
is unique to Baldwin products?

--Paul

>>>Can anyone share knowledge or experience with Howard pianos? I
haven't heard of them. Someone I know is interested in purchasing a
5'9" one for about $6500, and it's from the 60s.