Piano gets its revenge...

piano2ba1 at att.net piano2ba1 at att.net
Tue May 9 18:59:04 MDT 2006

Recently I tripped over my own feet, so to speak by being diplomatic about a rebuild job done by a major piano restorer here in New York. Back in the 80's they 'rebuilt' a Model M Steinway keeping the old pinblock and sounding board while restringing it with oversize tuning pins. It's been about 20-25 years and many of the tuning pins were loose. Most were in the bass. I carelessly drove in the offenders without thought of what happens when the bottom coil meets the plate hole's edge. The string gets pinched and eventually may break next to the coil- duh! Now I have to order a bass string again and return a third time to the customer in Manhattan where parking is very difficult.

-------------- Original message from pianotune05 at comcast.net: --------------

My only mishap in my tuning career so far was a brused up knee when I tripped over and knoced over a bench recently.  The area was dark and I was all nervous being a new tuner etc.  It was a Young Chang piano bench, well the piano was anyway. :)
Marshall

From: John Ross <jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca>

1 Broken nose, and two black eyes, from a tilter mishap. Strap it in place now.
2 Toe broken in three places, when I wasn't careful about moving a piano, with one hand, on a carpet, and the wheel didn't swivel, so it tipped.
Caused me to be limping at the Dearborn convention. :-(
Takes something like this to happen, say every 10 years, so we don't get too complacent.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca