Birdcage tuning

Noel Kaufmann noel444 at access4less.net
Fri May 12 22:24:16 MDT 2006

Hi Jim.

Believe it or not I've managed tuning these piano-shaped objects with pulling the dang action out, and doing a good pluck tuning using my SAT.   I find that if you can do a really good pluck-and-pin-setting (with some "flag-pole" testing), then believe it or not you don't entirely need to have the hammers hit the strings.  Especially, of course, for any pitch raisin, but for a two-thirds decent fine tuning that will hold up for basic playing.  (I haven't had any concert pianists with birdcages.)  Maybe I'm weird, odd, and left-handed, (sinistre), but it worked reasonably well for me.  A big relief from bothering with Papps and what not, though that's noble.

Other than that I'm usually inclined to tell people, in a kind voice,  to use their piano as -- just that - a BIRDCAGE.

Noel Kaufmann