tuning pin bushings too big

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Thu May 18 06:47:23 MDT 2006

Subject: tuning pin bushings too big

List,

On a grand I'm rebuilding the old tuning pin bushings
were .41 od but I am unable to find a new set that is
anything smaller than about .44 od.

Would you just not put in bushings on this one, or do
you have a quick method of reducing the size of the
bigger bushings?

Thanks,

Bob Hull

We bushed a plate with tighter than usual tuning pin bushings, and later
found out the plate hole was about .030" smaller than the bushing.  There
were no problems with the bushings or plate. I'd drill a few .41" test holes
in something as thick as your plate web (maybe an old plate from a junked
piano) and drive in a few bushings to see what happens. Let us know.

Paul C