AOL

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Thu May 18 06:15:45 MDT 2006

Hi Dale

A friend of mine in the computer industry hosts my domain for free. My
brother also has a server and I could host it there as well. There are lots
of businesses and people with their own servers. As long as your site isn't
real active (i.e., doesn't consume a lot of bandwidth) then you might be
able to find someone to host yours for free as well. Check with your
contacts who are in information technology businesses and ask.

My brother has set lots of people up with GoDaddy.com and they are great to
deal with. And they are about the cheapest service you can find. The
president, Bob Parsons, has supplied high quality and affordable software
since the early DOS days of computing. I've been impressed with anything
that he has offered. Shop carefully because you can spend several times what
GoDaddy charges and not get any better service. This is usually the case
with your local internet service provider. They offer web hosting services
but their prices are usually really high.

A server is just a fancy name for a computer that is hooked up to the
internet all the time with what is called a static IP address. An IP address
uniquely identifies a computer to the rest of the web. Most of us use
internet providers that assign our computers a dynamic IP address. In other
words, every time we log onto the internet we get a different IP address. A
server has to have a static address, one that always stays the same. Even a
lowly home computer could be a server with the right software and a static
IP.

When a server "hosts" your domain name that means a couple of things. One is
the actual HTML files that are your web site physically reside on that
server. Another is that a central registry on the web links your domain name
to that server's static IP address. So whenever anyone types your domain
name into their browser, the browser first goes across the web to the
registry to find the static IP address associated with that domain. Then
using the static IP address it goes across the web again to find the server
where your HTML files reside and downloads them.

I forgot to mention, though I have said it before, you can find vanity toll
free numbers at www.tollfreenumbers.com <http://www.tollfreenumbers.com/> .

So at GoDaddy I found ErwinsPianos.net available where you could set up
Dale at Erwinspianos.net as you email. And at TollFreeNumbers I found
877-ERWINS-Pianos available.

Through TollFreeNumbers you can also find really cheap long distance
service.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272