Loss and Piano Tuning ( was: hearing etc.)

J. R. White jrwhiteltd at msn.com
Tue May 23 11:39:08 MDT 2006

One of my clients, a physician, explained to me that hearing is the last
sense to fade away, and that pitch-acuity almost invariably remains as sharp
as ever unless one becomes absolutely stone deaf.  It's tragic, in my view,
when elderly people believe their hearing is fouled up when they hear their
pianos sounding badly.  These dear folks need to be assured that we can hear
the same bad sounds that they hear, that it is the pianos, not their ears,
which need help.
My physician-client also told me that nurses and other caregivers very often
talk or read to patients who are dying, and keep on reading until well after
the patients seem to be deceased, even for a few minutes after breathing
stops.
The thought among medical professionals currently seems to be that patients
can hear just as well following the instant of death as they could a few
minutes prior to it.
I've had many doctors soberly express this thought to me.
Interesting!
J R W

jrwhiteltd at msn.com
(253) 922-2372