baldwind bridge separation

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue May 23 16:51:08 MDT 2006

I thought Baldwin was using vertically laminated bridges with no bridge cap. Or is that only on their grands?

If it is the cap pulling off, I should think that such a new piano is worth removing the necessary strings and gluing the cap back down (epoxy might be best). Likely will have to remove bridge pins also. Also, keep in mind that if a couple inches of cap is visibly pulling away from the root, I wonder how well the rest of the cap is attached (may want to remove entire cap and reglue/rebond). What is downbearing like in that area? Seems to me that even if the cap were not glued well, it would tend to be pushed into the root by downbearing pressure. I'd recommend taking a very close look to see what is going on.

Terry Farrell