Ya gotta laugh...

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Tue Nov 21 07:58:50 MST 2006

Yesterday, I did a warranty tuning on a Yamaha P-2.  The piano was in great shape, at pitch, everything in place, no broken spring cords.  I went to adjust the pedal and found that the wing not wouldn't go far enough down the pedal bolt to take out the excess play.  Inspection showed that someone had wanted to "secure" their fine pedal adjustment by wrapping many layers of masking tape around the threads.

I removed the wing nut, pulled the bolt down and scraped off as much tape as I could.  I couldn't find the felt punching that had rolled away when I undid the nut, so I replaced it with a spare Wurzen punching I had in my kit.  Put it all back together, and found that I couldn't adjust the pedal so that I was getting enough lift OR adequate damper seating.

Everything seemed in perfect order.  I removed the action to look for loose pedal rod brackets.  Nada.  Futzed around with adjustment.  Still nada.

After about ten minutes of exasperation, I ran a screwdriver through the pedal mortise over the top of the pedal.  Out popped the missing punching, which had been pressing down on the pedal the whole time!

Mondays have been an adventure lately.

Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560