Irwin Drill

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 16 15:19:03 MDT 2006

David I said: "I usually use a forstner bit for retro-fitting pitmans in Steinways and other grands. Problem is starting the forstner bit into the keybed. I came across an Irwin 1&1/8" forstner type bit except with a threaded starter tip, about 3/4" long. As I think about it now I suppose the starter tip wouldn't be of much help since it is going into the pitman hole...anyone used this bit for this repair? "

David,
As someone else suggested, for Forstners: Drill a piece of scrap wood with the appropriate hole size and temporarily tack/screw it, centered, on the existing pittman rod hole. That will keep the Forstner bit from wondering..
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I