Baldwin Hamilton with unhappy key dip

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Wed Oct 18 11:49:02 MDT 2006

Greetings,

      I have a customer with a Baldwin Hamilton serial# 351320, (a later
one)? and he is very annoyed at the lack of key dip. I must admit, I have played
these Bald/Hams and I have never felt one so shallow. You cant "dig in" to the
keys.

      When I checked to start to re-level the keys I saw that the blow
distance is 1 13/16". Isnt that too much? Shouldnt it be 1 3/4" or less?  Wow. Dont
all pianos the of same model have the same key dip? This is new to me that
there can be a discrepency from other Bald/Hams. Can it be rectified?
I was playng around with setting up samples and when I get the dip to feel
good the space between jack and the hammer butt is about 1/16" or alittle less.
Is it okay to "cheat" and set it up with a small, small amount of space there?
The key actually repeats better! What to do?

Thanks,
Julia Gottshall
Reading, PA