Baldwin Hamilton with unhappy key dip

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Wed Oct 18 12:20:47 MDT 2006

At 01:49 PM 10/18/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>
>       I have a customer with a Baldwin Hamilton serial# 351320, (a later
> one)? and he is very annoyed at the lack of key dip. I must admit, I have
> played these Bald/Hams and I have never felt one so shallow. You cant
> "dig in" to the keys.
>
>       When I checked to start to re-level the keys I saw that the blow
> distance is 1 13/16". Isnt that too much? Shouldnt it be 1 3/4" or
> less?  Wow. Dont all pianos the of same model have the same key dip? This
> is new to me that there can be a discrepency from other Bald/Hams. Can it
> be rectified?
>I was playng around with setting up samples and when I get the dip to feel
>good the space between jack and the hammer butt is about 1/16" or alittle
>less. Is it okay to "cheat" and set it up with a small, small amount of
>space there? The key actually repeats better! What to do?
>
>Thanks,
>Julia Gottshall
>Reading, PA

The dip of the Hamilton is VERY easy to change (globally).

The keyframe floats on adjusting screws along the balance rail. Remove the
keys and you'll see (hold down) screws and access holes for
(support/adjusting) screws. [mostly under sharps, but ends are different]

Mark the keys over the screws for later reference, replace keys except for
the marked ones, back off on the hold down screws a couple turns, place
your favorite keydip block on a key close to one of the support screws,
raise (unscrew) support screws and watch the keys move right up to the
block height.

When you have set the optimal dip for the instrument, snug down the hold
down screws but not firmly enough to give a dip in the key level. (they are
just for positioning, not adjusting)  Replace access keys and enjoy,
knowing that the next time it has to be done the access keys are already
marked.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.