High tension? Low?......

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 19 09:45:29 MDT 2006

According to a handout from Dr. Albert Sanderson, the ranges for "very low" to "very high" tension scales are:
Monochords: 200 to 290 pounds
Bichords: 160 to 235 pounds
Trichords: 140 to 200 pounds

In my opinion, this would apply, ONLY, to modern instruments, as I've seen a much wider range, especially in Ancient instruments. Also, I suspect this is a "safe" range and not an "actual". The classic example would be The Mason & Hamlin 9', note 1, which is in the 300+ range. And it's at 70+% of it's breaking strength! Most of these have been "replaced" a few times.<G>
Regards,

Joseph Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I