High tension? Low? Board stiffness? was Hammer Types

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Oct 21 19:55:05 MDT 2006

While I have begun to play with scaling I still rely heavily on experts in
the field for guidance-especially in the area of bass scaling.  Fandrich and
Nossaman have both been very helpful to me in this area.  Both have also put
new designs on S&S Bs that involve adding a tenor bridge, new bass bridge
and probably new long bridge as well.  Nossaman's piano was at the
convention.  For the S&S B whose data I included, which was not getting a
new soundboard, I made a new bridge cap for the capo section which allowed
me to alter the speaking lengths and make them more logarithmic smoothing
the tension in that section.  I increased the plain wire diameters in the
low tenor to raise the tension and the bass scaling was modified as well.
Adding wrapped strings to the tenor was a possibility but it seemed like six
of one when the numbers were run.  Each had its pluses and minuses.   The
Knabe is getting new soundboard, long bridge and added tenor bridge.

In playing around with scaling info I look at everything (tension,
inharmonicity loudness) but pay most attention to tension, inharmonicity,
loudness in that order.  It's nice to get everything in a smooth curve for
everything but tension seems to be the most important.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com