Hammer flange question

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Mon Oct 30 11:15:46 MST 2006

On Oct 30, 2006, at 9:19 AM, Geoff Sykes wrote:
> I understand that there are three ways to deal with too-tight flanges:
>     1) repin - remove the old pin, replace and/or ease the bushing
> and repin
>     2) lubricate - with Protek, Goose-Juice, Naphtha+Silicon, etc.
>     3) ease - Alcohol and water
>
> What would you consider to be the requirements for any of these
> treatments? In other words, why and when do you choose one of these
> treatments over the others?

Use 1) if 2) and 3) don't work. Try 2) first, then 3), then 1).  As
has been said one trillion times before, and always bears repeating,
the condition of the shank flange is crucial in piano touch. I
usually repin only when shanks are too loose; judicious lubrication
works for me 90% of the time.

David Andersen