Hammer flange question

J W Stein musicnow at frontiernet.net
Mon Oct 30 14:01:19 MST 2006

MessageGeoff,

I would start with the lubricant...I love Protek myself. If the lubricant eases the hammers then you might be ok.  But, caution the customer that piano must be played to keep the "muslces" exercised.  If piano is not used often, the sluggishness could come back.  However, if the flanges are too tight because the wood is too swollen around wood, then you may have to replace pins.  As a rule of thumb, I like to make sure hammers swing at least 7 times during winter and 3 or 4 during summer.  Back and forth count as two swings.

Jon