Tricord-Bicord Conversion

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Mon Oct 30 11:11:57 MST 2006

Terry,

I agree with Dale (pretty safe statement, eh?).  I've seen it many times and other than the minor aesthetic issue (mainly for an overly analytical technician like me) of an empty giraffe hole, I've never experienced any drawbacks.

Best,
William R. Monroe

  I am restringing the bass on an old 6-foot Bauer grand. The upper four notes in the bass section are wound tricords. I'm going to let Jim Arledge smooth out the bass scaling. I suspect he will recommend converting the four tricords to bicords. I'm not rebuilding this piano, the owner just wants it to sound a little better. The few times I have converted tri to bi, I have swapped out agraffes. As this is a very basic "just get her up and running" type job, seems to me I should be just fine using the original agraffes and likely utilizing the outer positions on the agraffes, bridge pins and hitch pins.

  Any thoughts?

  Terry Farrell
  Farrell Piano

  www.farrellpiano.com