opinions on this CA job for loose tuning pins

John M. Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Tue Oct 31 19:33:11 MST 2006

List,

I've done several "CA jobs" to fix loose tuning pins. All have been on
older pianos where the pins were quite loose everywhere, and all but one
was successful.

This piano is a 1994 Baldwin Acrosonic. There are probably 30 or more
somewhat loose pins, with up to 10 needing definite attention, although
they are now tunable with a CyberHammer impact lever. But over the
years, they have definitely gotten looser, so it's now time to repair
the problem.

Does CA work well for this kind of thing? I'm thinking a fairly light
application so as not to return the pins to their former "Baldwin why
the heck do you make 'em so dang tight" state. What I'm also wondering
is will the CA get past these new pin bushings down into the hole? Or is
it just going to glob all over the bushing?

Ordinarily, I could just remove pins and swab the inside of the hole
with thick CA, but with there being so many and having to un-bend the
wire coming out the pin hole, it would be so much easier to tilt and do
some preventative maintenance...if it will work.

Of course, I want to be the most fair to the customer, and think that
the CA route is probably the best to try, considering that this seems to
be an endemic problem, and will eventually require treating all the
pins. However, having no experience on a piano this new, wanted to ask
if anyone has had similar experience.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
John Formsma