opinions on this CA job for loose tuning pins

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Oct 31 21:07:29 MST 2006

Hi John,

There's been a lot in the archives on this, I'd recommend a search for all
the opinions.  In short, (in my opinion) yes, Ultra Thin CA is appropriate
and very effective for this - bushings or no.  If your CA is globbing, it's
too thick for this application.  The globby stuff is fine for swabbing
holes, but not for applying at the base of the pins.

Further, I'll pretty strongly advocate the position that:

1.    Not much CA needs to be used (On a BAD piano, I often use between one
and two oz.)
2.    The piano need not be tilted - Ultra thin CA wicks in very well
through the bushings to the block with the piano vertical.  About the only
thing tilting has allowed me to do is apply more CA than the block was
willing to wick in.  As you apply it to a vertical piano, you can easily
watch the CA wick in and see the bushings start to reach the point of
saturation.  I stop just before I really think I need to and move on.  If
it's really bad, I'll come back for a shorter second pass immediately
thereafter.

Best,
William R. Monroe