RTC/tunelab thing

Jeffrey Cutler jwcpianotech at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 10:09:39 MST 2007

> I may be new to the piano tech trade, but I've been working with
> multiple computer systems
for years. When I bought a Mac to use at home do you suppose that
Microsoft would give me a cross
grade price when I purchased Office for Mac? Or that Adobe would give
me a special price when I
bought Photoshop again? I think not, nor would I expect them to. So I
was very pleasantly surprised
when, in the last week, Dean Reyburn replied to my question posted on
his cybertuner list that if I
wanted to cross grade from my Pocket PC version of Cyber Tuner to a
Macbook version ($895)that it
would cost $100. plus S/H since I had bought the pocket version within
the last year. This is more than
fair as I could easily sell the Pocket PC WITH an intact version of
RCT and chortle to the bank. I have enough
scruples to not do this, but Dean doesn't know that. Whatever version
you like is the version you should
use. I personally chose RCT due in large part to it's ease of use and
it's recommendation by my mentor.
If he had been using Tunelab maybe that is what I would be using now
but my customers are happy and
that is what is important at the end of the day.

> From: "Cy Shuster" <cy at shusterpiano.com>
> Date: December 2, 2007 12:26:14 AM CST
> To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
> Subject: Re: RTC/tune lab thing
> >

> Sure... there's no way for Dean (or Robert) to know that you've
> stopped using either the laptop or the PDA.  You might have sold the
> old system with the software still on it.
>
> Robert does give a $100 discount if you already own another (paid)
> version.
>
> It's also quite normal to discontinue support on old operating
> systems.  It's double the work to build and test on two different
> OS's, just like on two different hardware platforms.  And what if
> you want to take advantage of new OS features that aren't on the old
> one?
>
> --Cy--

Jeffrey Cutler
Piano & Fretted Instrument Service