Scheduling question

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Dec 6 16:54:24 MST 2007

Due respect, Michelle,

However, it is that type of thinking that encourages working for less than you are worth.  I don't think anyone is encouraging gouging; it's simply a matter of recognizing your worth, your value, as determined by what the market will bear - and not confusing business with philanthropy.  If you're worth $150/hr, so be it.  If you're worth $45/hr, so be it.  It is a shame when you are worth $150 and are working for $45.  It can be awfully tempting to provide service for less than it's value, feeling like you're a swell individual for doing so.  By and large, however, the clients to whom you give discounts are the first ones to leave you for another (if and when they show up, in your case).

Do good work, charge what you are worth.

William R. Monroe

And, yes, I have (and still do on occasion) dust a SB or ease a bushing without charge.  It's a hard habit to break.

  I feel like I need to add my two cents because I am one of only two tuners in my county.  Most tuners from the closest city either won't drive here or charge a ridiculous amount for mileage.

  I've been able to charge pretty much whatever I want because people out here are desperate for a tuner.  However, the majority of our population is not wealthy and there is a line between a fair price for a service and gouging your customer because you can.  I try to charge enough that I can make a living, attract only serious customers, and provide more "bang for the customer's buck".

  Michelle Smith

  Bastrop, Texas