Charlie brown Christmas

Brad Lehman bpl at umich.edu
Fri Dec 7 12:34:17 MST 2007

>> I don't know what it is about jazz, but I hear out of tune pianos all
>> the time in jazz recordings. Maybe they think that the extra beats
>> adds to the ambiance?
>>

> It's because jazz musicians as a class do not stand up for
> themselves...even worse than piano tuners. The players that demanded
> an in-tune piano got it....Duke, Count Basie, Bill Evans, Dave
> Brubeck, Hank Jones, most of the young modern guys.
Bill Evans certainly didn't get one for the otherwise excellent "Moon
Beams" album, 1962.  The treble should have had bright orange hazard
cones all around it, at least in the first track "Re: Person I Knew".
Especially since the tune's title is an anagram of the producer's name
(Orrin Keepnews)!  The "How My Heart Sings" album has the same problem
because it's from the same recording sessions.

As for the Charlie Brown Christmas, the horribly flat singing bothers me
more than the OOT piano.

Brad Lehman