recap of E-mailing reminders

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Mon Dec 17 12:38:07 MST 2007

Thanks to all of you who responded. From the information I received it seems that e-mail reminders?are not worth the time and?effort. And thanks, too, to those who sent?your way of reminding customers.

When I was back in Alabama and St. Louis, I sent out reminder post cards every 6 months and/or 1 year, (depending on what the customer wanted). I also sent out a reminder after 2, 3 and 4 years. It did generate some business, enough to make it worth while, but not too many. I asked the customers to call me for an appointment. I included my e-mail address, and some of them contacted me that way. But most would call me. Customers would put the card on the refrigerator, and would call me 2 -6 months later, stating "I just got your card".

Shortly after I moved to Hawaii, I bought the customer list from a widow of tuner who died. He pre-scheduled appointments 6 months or 1 year ahead of time. At first I was reluctant to do that, asking them instead to call me after receiving my reminder post card. But I got so many request, that I figured, what the hell. I now have over 50 appointments scheduled already for this spring and next fall. With all of these customers, I will send them a post card to remind them of the appointment. I've set up a spread sheet with the names, addresses and dates.?It's interesting, however, that the customers who?are used to pre-schedules actually ask for it. But those who are not used to it have a tendency to reject the idea.

The guy?who asked me to come here said that customers are not very responsive to being asked to call, even after receiving a reminder card. So I'll have to see how that will work in the next couple of months. I might have to go back to calling people, something I haven't done for a long time.

Thanks again to all who responded.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI