explanation(s), please

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Dec 21 10:21:42 MST 2007

> With less than a decade of
> experience, I'm still learning which things to look for -- which is why
> I look to y'all for advice... because you do such a good job of giving it!

With all this action centering around the octave 6 strut, it's
not the perimeter bolts and plate screws. And after hearing
BANG twice, you wouldn't get me to tighten them on a bet. How
does the bridge look right there? That's a typical area for a
scarf joint in a solid root bridge.

> What I could see of the pinblock was no worse than other old tired
> grands I've tuned successfully.  Going on the appearance of the
> block/pins/strings, I wouldn't have any qualms about treating it with CA
> and tuning it up.

Are the pins super loose?

> But those monster BANGS really scared me.  And I don't like working on
> pianos that I'm scared of.  Makes me nervous.

Me too. I'd likely pronounce it dead and send it to Valhalla.
Anyone who's watched adventure films knows that the dead
always attack as the hero or his (eventual) girl friend passes
by. This piano has attacked, and is therefor dead. QED.
Ron N