Oscar Peterson

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 04:26:38 MST 2007

On Dec 25, 2007, at 5:40 PM, Hechler Family wrote:

> I listened to this all the way through.
>
> I never could get used to this form of jazz because WHERE THE HELL
> IS THE MELODY ?

Contrasting views of Oscar Peterson's playing are nothing new. The New
York Times deals with the issue well in its obituary.

Oscar Peterson was the greatest. My favorite record of his was a solo
piano album from the 70's called "Tracks". If you happen to have
iTunes, you can listen to the excerpt from "A Little Jazz Exercise",
which still blows me away after 30 years.

http://tinyurl.com/3dcpv9

Kent Swafford

December 25, 2007
Oscar Peterson, 82, Jazz’s Piano Virtuoso, Dies
By RICHARD SEVERO
Oscar Peterson, whose dazzling piano playing made him one of the most
popular jazz artists in history, died on Sunday night at his home in
Mississauga, Ontario, outside Toronto. He was 82.

The cause was kidney failure, the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
reported. Mr. Peterson had performed publicly for a time even after a
stroke he suffered in 1993 compromised movement in his left hand.

Mr. Peterson was one of the greatest virtuosos in jazz, with a piano
technique that was always meticulous and ornate and sometimes
overwhelming. But rather than expand the boundaries of jazz, he used
his gifts in the service of moderation and reliability, gratifying his
devoted audiences whether he was playing in a trio or solo or
accompanying some of the most famous names of jazz. His technical
accomplishments were always evident, almost transparently so. Even at
his peak, there was very little tension in his playing.

One of the most prolific major stars in jazz history, he amassed an
enormous discography. From the 1950s until his death, he released
sometimes four or five albums a year, toured Europe and Japan
frequently and became a big draw at jazz festivals.

Norman Granz, his influential manager and producer, helped Mr.
Peterson realize that success, setting loose a flow of records on his
own Verve and Pablo labels and establishing Mr. Peterson as a favorite
in his touring Jazz at the Philharmonic concerts in the 1940s and ’50s.

Mr. Peterson won eight Grammy awards, as well as almost every possible
honor in the jazz world. He played alongside giants like Louis
Armstrong, Count Basie, Charlie Parker, Roy Eldridge, Nat King Cole,
Stan Getz, Dizzy Gillespie and Ella Fitzgerald.

Duke Ellington referred to him as “maharajah of the keyboard.” Basie
said, “Oscar Peterson plays the best ivory box I’ve ever heard.” The
pianist and conductor André Previn called Mr. Peterson “the best”
among jazz pianists.

In a review of a performance in 1987, Stephen Holden, writing in The
New York Times, said, “Mr. Peterson’s rock-solid sense of swing,
grounded in Count Basie, is balanced by a delicacy of tone and
fleetness of touch that make his extended runs seem to almost
disappear into the sky.” He added, “His amazing speed was matched by
an equally amazing sense of thematic invention.”

But many critics found Mr. Peterson more derivative than original,
especially early in his career. Some even suggested that his fantastic
technique lacked coherence and was almost too much for some listeners
to compute.

Billy Taylor, a fellow pianist and a jazz historian, said he thought
that while Mr. Peterson was a “remarkable musician,” his “phenomenal
facility sometimes gets in the way of people’s listening.”

Whitney Balliett, the jazz critic of The New Yorker, wrote in 1966
that Mr. Peterson’s playing “continues to be a pudding made of the
leavings of Art Tatum, Nat Cole and Teddy Wilson.”

The critical ambivalence was typified in 1973 in a review of a