Elbow job

West Britt brittsam at charter.net
Sat Jan 6 20:29:26 MST 2007

      I just replaced the plastic elbows on a Winter spinet this
week.  It took a little less than 2 hours.  I use the Vagias snap on
elbows from Pianotek (# EL-S).  I had the action in a cradle on the
bench.  I first clamped some vice grip pliers on the wire snug up
against the old elbow on note 1.  I squeezed the old elbow with
alligator pliers right in the whippen mortise around the center pin
and the old elbow crumbled off (on all 88).  Be careful not to damage
the mortise.  If the elbows do not break off use end nip pliers.
Holding the wire or vice grips I then broke off or twisted off the
old elbow and spun the new one up to the vice grips.  With the Vagais
elbows there is no need to repin the whip mortises.  You just snap
them on to the old center pin and move on to the next one.  There is
no need to remove the whips.  As you work be aware of wasted motion,
and when removing the vice grips from one wire clamp them onto the
down the alligator pliers after removing the old elbow from the
whip.  This will help speed up the process without having to hurry.
The reason for using the vice grips is so that when you put the
action back in the piano the lost motion will be close to where it
was before and save time in setting it.
      While you are at it,  call the customer and tell them that it
will be cheaper for them to let you go ahead and replace the plastic
damper flanges that are frequently on these pianos as well.  I use
Pianotek #PW-DF10 standard damper flanges for most.   This will save
you from breaking one while putting the action back in the piano and
do them the service of not having continuous damper problems when
they start breaking as well.  It took me 3 hours for this and I would
be glad to detail the procedure if anyone was interested.
     I hope this helps,

      Britt West