regulation problems

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Sun Jan 7 07:48:44 MST 2007

>I am regulating this action on the bench, I don't' know if that
>changes anything.

It doesn't change anything... it changes everything.

The first thing you need to do is to bed the frame in the piano.
  Don't forget the hidden glides.
Then level the keys, in the piano, set sharps 12 mm above naturals;
still in the piano.
Then set dip (rough set, fine adj. of dip is later in process),
yes... in the piano.

Any regulation really has to begin and end at the piano.

When doing any bench work, duplicate in-piano conditions by assuring a solid
key frame footing and reestablish dip, otherwise all is lost.
Reestablishing dip
is the operative word.

I think that once you reinstall the action, your key height will be
higher due to
the flex of the frame and the difference in the bedding support from
bench to piano.
That's why the naturals are hitting the sharp's front rail punchings,
they are too low
to begin with now. You may have 65.5 height on the bench, that will change once
reinstalled. Not only the height but the straightness/curvature of
the key level as well.

This is a lesson learned the hard way.
Don't worry, anything worth doing is worth doing twice.

Don't forget to bed the frame. Without that, the touch will be spongy
and there will be a loss of power.

So... back to square 1....
--

Regards,