regulation problems

Will Wickham wwickham at stny.rr.com
Sun Jan 7 18:02:19 MST 2007

Hi Jeff,

The suggestions about regulating in the piano are right on for sure.
That's the way that Yamaha teaches their own techs and the way they
teach it in their 'Little Red Schoolhouse'. Everything is done in the
piano. Some of the work is a bit tricky until you get used to working
inside the action cavity but the results are well worth it. Since
doing the 'Schoolhouse' I've done all grand regulating in the piano
with wonderful results!

The other thing to mention is that Yamaha's preferred blow distance
is just about 44 mm. They actually sell a small plastic tool that is
wonderful for setting the blow distance on some samples then you can
finish up by eyeballing between the top of the stack and the pin block.

Final word - practice makes perfect (and if you can get a Yamaha
dealer to nominate you for the 'Little Red Schoolhouse' - even better!)

will wickham