regulation problems

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 7 08:16:31 MST 2007

Hear here!
At 08:48 AM 1/7/2007, you wrote:
> >I am regulating this action on the bench, I don't' know if that
> changes anything.
>
>It doesn't change anything... it changes everything.

Absolutely right.  It is impossible to fine regulate out of the piano
without duplicating the key-bed's irregularities.  You can do that by
recording dip in the piano and shimming the glides to duplicate but
it is more work than doing it in the piano.  Bedding the key-frame to
the key-bed in the piano is foundational to all other aspects of
regulation.  I would also recommend determining if you like your
strike point in the high treble before doing any alignment, little
shifts here make for a lot of alignment work.

A bench is OK for hanging new parts and getting them close enough for
regulation.  There is one being sold (that I haven't tried out) that
is designed to duplicate (kind-of) the piano's irregularities.  You
can find it at http://www.edwardsstringcovers.com/ under "other
products."  Don't know how well it works but it should give you an
idea why a simple bench is inadequate to the task.

 >Any regulation really has to begin and end at the piano.
This is how Yamaha teaches it on their video.

 >When doing any bench work, duplicate in-piano conditions by assuring a solid
>key frame footing and reestablish dip, otherwise all is lost.
>Reestablishing dip
>is the operative word.

Look at that bench from edwards stringcovers and you will understand
what he is talking about here.

>So... back to square 1....
Dittos, your first full regulation may be a trial by fire, chalk it
up to learning expense.  I love to do them now.  Few pianos are sold
with optimal regulation, my customers rave about how their D's and
play now and wonder why they didn't play like that before...  I can
sell my Chinese pianos over some fancier competition because I put
the time into making them play like a piano should.

Andrew