New Scale/Scale Stick

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 29 18:36:12 MST 2007

RicB said: "Hi Folks.

I have a question to put to you all. When one decides to change the
string lengths as part of a rescaling endeavor, how does one account for
the need to re-figure the striking point for the hammers ? On the
surface of it a very modest change in lengths would not seem to require
much in the way of changing the strike line.... at least in the bass,
but how exactly does one proceed ?"

Thanks
Ric,
I'd check to see what the the "ratio" for the original string lengths were and off-set the new hammer lines to that ratio. I assume most of the new lengths are in the lower end of the piano, so there should be sufficient room to re-establish a new hammer line to the "designed" "ratio". Of course, if you did something really radical, then all bets are off. In that case a lot of compromising would take precedence.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I