vanity identities

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Tue Jan 30 03:47:58 MST 2007

Paul Bruesh wrote: I just recently joined this list and started out getting
periodic digest emails. .If it wasn't such a pain to "move" to a different
email address, I'd be moving my regular personal email to Gmail as well. As
it is, I do plan to start that process in the not too distant future, though
I anticipate it'll take a while...

Paul,

You should be able to get whoever is hosting your regular email account to
forward it to your gmail account. Then everything would come into gmail. As
you then start using gmail exclusively, people will start adding your gmail
account to their address book.

But before doing that, you should consider getting a vanity domain name,
like my pianorebuilders.com. I also just recently secured deanmay.com. You
can go to godaddy.com to see what domains are available. They are really
pretty cheap, like $8/year to register. I checked and paul2nr.com is
available. Then you need a server to host it, which godaddy will do for
about $4/month. They are really helpful with good tech support to help you
get going. I know people with servers that host mine for free. You probably
unknowingly know people with servers as well: someone in your circle of
friends probably has a server, you just don't know that they do. A server is
simply a home computer on steroids that is permanently connected to the
internet.

Once you get your domain name, you can literally set up as many email
accounts as you want. I'd recommend you set up a vanity domain name w/ email
account, like paul at paul2nr.com, then forward that email account to your
gmail. In your gmail settings put your newly acquired vanity email address
as the return address.

To complete your vanity identity, go to tollfreenumbers.com and get a toll
free number. I checked and 877-paul2nr is available.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802