Wurlitzer seperated pinblock

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Thu Jul 19 14:18:44 MDT 2007

>If it has separated, it can be repaired, by drilling right through,
>to the back, after of course clamping the gap closed to stop wood
>chips slipping into the space. I then just use carriage bolts from
>behind. I used to use 1/2", but wiser minds than mine on the list,
>say 3/8" is sufficient.

Actually 5/16" is sufficient but carriage bolts have too small of an
area under the head
and crush into the soft facer board on the back; use a hex head w/ washer.

Clamping together before drilling helps to keep debris from getting
into the crevice
but primarily it is to drill a straight hole with the two sides drawn
together. If drilled
before clamping, the bolt will restrict the sides from being drawn up
because the holes
will no longer be in line but form a 'v' contour.

Chances are that if the top is separated, so's the bottom.  The
majority of spinets and consoles coming through the shop receive
bolts; separated or not. I've been thinking
of cutting rod connectors in half to get more threads on the nut;
I've not found these
fasteners available in extra thickness.
--

Regards,