Complete Grand cleaning

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Fri Jul 20 22:25:51 MDT 2007

Noah,

Although soundboard steels are very traditional, I've long since changed
to a flat dusting wand which takes washable/replaceable cleaning
sleeves. Very fast. Use it dry. Example:

http://www.cleanitsupply.com/p-1120-proflat-duster-75.aspx

It helps if you can remove the lid to insert the wand from the bass end.
Kawai lids are heavy so you may need some help with that. The wand will
pick up a lot of the dust which you can periodically clean off with a
vacuum. Cleaning up toward the treble end, you can insert the wand at
the breaks to get extra reach. But the high treble takes a smaller tool
such as Bill Spurlock's. Clean under the plate, too. It helps to curl
the plastic wand a little to bear down more on the board.

Once you loosen and remove all the dust on the soundboard that you can,
plus vacuum out tuning pin area (with the help of a paint brush) and the
action cavity, you can (discreetly) blow out the remaining dust with the
vacuum hose hooked up as a blower.

Yes, polish the brass, but only the name on the  fallboard, the lid lock
hardware, and the pedals. The hinges were polished and finished with
lacquer at the factory and should be left alone.

Cory Super High Gloss and a flannel cloth cleans the case.

Time for a full cleaning: 3.50 hours, according to Joe Garrett.

Standard ballpark fee: multiply by your hourly rate, but it takes me
longer if there's a game going on ;-)

Tom Cole