Whadayathink of this piano sound?

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 16:10:21 MST 2007

Here is exactly what I use, if anyone is interested:

Apple iPod Nano 2nd generation (still available from Apple as refurbs):
http://tinyurl.com/ypzgfa

It appears that a third generation iPod Nano can be made to work with
the iTalk Pro, but isn't fully compatible. iPhones and the iPod Touch
apparently do not work at all.  I wouldn't use an iPod model that has
a hard drive, because of the mechanical noise.

iTalk Pro:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/italkpro

Sony Stereo Mic:
http://tinyurl.com/yukbup

There are a couple "secrets" to making this work. You must do the
recording with close miking and with the iTalk set to low gain. The
gain of the resulting recording will at first sound too low, but
setting the gain for a close-miked piano is problematic under the best
of circumstances, which this is not; it _needs_ to be low gain. The
second "secret" is to use audio editing software to "normalize" the
recording, which can automatically bring the gain up. (This could have
been the artifact that Stéphane was hearing.) On Mac I use
SoundStudio; I don't know how to do this on Windows. It's all
obviously a kludge but the results speak for themselves.

Kent