Restring and/or Rescale? 30 YO Yamaha C3

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Fri Oct 12 21:51:27 MDT 2007

Let me concur with David.
  Dennis & I installed a Wurzen set in a old Yamaha G-2 J model  Friday.
Though not my favorite  model this one really has a  good Sitka board with very
singing tone. Other than the usual careful  weight prep & shaping  there was no
initial needling to be done  & no juice at all. It sounds very clear/much
sustain & even  from  the git go.  I did needle two hammers in octave four that
sounded a bit  strident & I will say these are not soft hammers and if I did it
over I  would use Bacon felt on this one.  I've used the Wurzen a fair bit &
as  with any felt the densities can vary a bit.
  However Wurzens have been my first choice for the Yamaha  piano. My concern
is that in heavy use scenarios I'd be going back to  needle them out quite
thoroughly.  Oh well that's life.
   Next time though I will do some sampling.
  Dale

For  heavy use start softer.  For light use you can start harder.  In  this
case, I would go with Ronsen Wurzen.  You need something firm  enough for the
Yamaha tonal model but not so firm that you are doing a lot  of initial
voicing to get the tone down to where you want it and even more  to keep it
there.

David  Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com

...While we're on the subject I have some experience with  Abel hammers and
almost none with Renners, for longevity in a classroom  situation and that
will still retain some tonal qualities what hammers  would you recommend?

Mike