MH BB Pinblock

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Aug 2 14:02:19 MDT 2008

>   I think there is some acoustical loss in an unattached block, simply
> because there is vertical movement in it that is not as well resisted by the mass of
> the case.  The difference in stiffness between a block that is doweled in and
> one that is not is profound.

Is it? Unfortunately, I'm a couple of days past being able to
directly test this with the piano I'm currently working on,
but I think it's worth looking at. A dial indicator, set up
under the stretcher and pinblock (plate firmly screwed to it)
will tell you pretty easily. How much deflection with your
weight on just the stretcher, and your weight on just the
plate/block assembly? I think you'll find the stretcher to be
considerably, possibly profoundly less rigid.

>The sound transmission is also noticeably
> different if you tap the undowelled block then clamp it to the stretcher and tap it
> again.

It also is when you tap the undowelled block, and the same
block with just a clamp attached without the stretcher because
you've lowered the resonant frequency and raised the impedance
of the thing with the mass of the clamp. You can observe the
same thing by tapping the belly rail when a soundboard is out.

Ron N